The Grecians' Houses

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: HOUSE NAMES

Post by J.R. »

petard249 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I know there is a Barnes? but what about Wallis?
Curiously, many people seem to think that Barnes Wallis's name is double-barrelled, but, in fact, Barnes was his Christian/first name, and his surname was plain Wallis, which would match the other House names.

Another name for consideration is "Elstob," the only Old Blue as far as I know to have won the Victoria Cross. He also won a DSO and an MC, which means that he was not just brave, but very, very brave. He died winning his VC at the age of 29.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, I am surprised that nobody has noticed that not one house is named after a female Old Blue. Surely, at a time when the school is heading towards a 50:50 ratio, just one house could bear a female name?
I can feel a protest in the 'offing' That poor old school cat !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mrs C. wrote:Yes Matt, but if they had names we couldn`t say "East the Least, West the Best" could we??!!

(and I know that it`s grammatically incorrect Richard!!)

:D

But as you well know, the east side of the avenue is and will be for evermore superior to the 'dark' side...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: The Grecians' Houses

Post by Mrs C. »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Don't ypou think that the Grecians' houses should have been named something more interesting than 'Grecians West' and 'Grecians East'?

Surely there must be some more Old Blues who have been famous or noteworthy?
How about Snow, for Jon Snow the cricketer, or Davis for Sir Colin Davis the conductor?

I know there is a Barnes? but what about Wallis?
That's it, Mary !!!

WALLIS house, and GROMMIT house. Superb !!

Believe it or not, I seem to remember that one being raised when names were under discussion !!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
AKAP
Grecian

Re: The Grecians' Houses

Post by AKAP »

AKAP wrote:Lambert, not after Lambert and Butler, but the compser/conductor.
No other supporters for Constant Lambert. (just me and Margot Fontayne then.)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Richard Ruck wrote:Wallis would have been a good one - not only a renowned boffin, but he put a hell of a lot back into C.H.

Fulfilled the "Charge", I would say.
When I was in the Sixth Form all those doing Maths A level were taken on a visit to where he was working (memory failing as to where it was!). We had a very good day out, superb food. He spoilt it all at the end by offering any of us who got degrees in Maths because' to more or less quote' 'he liked to have pretty young female mathematicians around him. They soon moved on when they met their young men and wanted babies - so he could emply fresh mathematical talent'

I got a degree in Maths but I did not go to him for a job!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Barnes Wallis

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Katharine wrote:When I was in the Sixth Form all those doing Maths A level were taken on a visit to where he was working (memory failing as to where it was!). We had a very good day out, superb food. He spoilt it all at the end by offering any of us who got degrees in Maths because' to more or less quote' 'he liked to have pretty young female mathematicians around him. They soon moved on when they met their young men and wanted babies - so he could employ fresh mathematical talent'
First, I am 99 percent certain that the place you visited was the Vickers aircraft factory at Weybridge in Surrey.

Second, I met Barnes Wallis (when I was young) and also had a lot of dealings with his family when writing a booklet about him for the 2003 RAF Foundationers 50th anniversary. I know of nothing to indicate that he was other than a prim and proper man, also rather shy, and one who was utterly devoted to his wife. I also saw many of the papers relating to setting up the Trust in the first place and he was always adamant that girls would be beneficiaries of the trust as much as boys. I am sure that he did say what you attribute to him, but suggest that it was probably a bit of somewhat heavy-handed and misplaced humour at the end of a long day, which then did not come out quite as he had intended it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Barnes Wallis

Post by Katharine »

petard249 wrote:First, I am 99 percent certain that the place you visited was the Vickers aircraft factory at Weybridge in Surrey.

Second, I met Barnes Wallis (when I was young) and also had a lot of dealings with his family when writing a booklet about him for the 2003 RAF Foundationers 50th anniversary. I know of nothing to indicate that he was other than a prim and proper man, also rather shy, and one who was utterly devoted to his wife. I also saw many of the papers relating to setting up the Trust in the first place and he was always adamant that girls would be beneficiaries of the trust as much as boys. I am sure that he did say what you attribute to him, but suggest that it was probably a bit of somewhat heavy-handed and misplaced humour at the end of a long day, which then did not come out quite as he had intended it.
You are right that it was Weybridge. You are almost certainly right that it was misplaced humour but we were just burgeoning as young feminists and it did not go down well with me, otherwise I would not have remembered it for so long. I would support naming a house after him, in spite of the one adverse memory.

BTW my niece Joanna Hills was a RAF Foundationer, and my father WHP Hills, Mid B sometime in the 20s, counted Barnes Wallis as a friend.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Katharine wrote:BTW my niece Joanna Hills was a RAF Foundationer,
She was in the same year as me but was in 6's.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

petard249 wrote:
Katharine wrote:When I was in the Sixth Form all those doing Maths A level were taken on a visit to where he was working (memory failing as to where it was!). We had a very good day out, superb food. He spoilt it all at the end by offering any of us who got degrees in Maths because' to more or less quote' 'he liked to have pretty young female mathematicians around him. They soon moved on when they met their young men and wanted babies - so he could employ fresh mathematical talent'
First, I am 99 percent certain that the place you visited was the Vickers aircraft factory at Weybridge in Surrey.

Known as Vickers Webridge, but in reality nearer to Byfleet. I don't think it's there anymore. Virtually overlooked the old Brooklands racing circuit.

Sir Barnes Wallis lived about a quarter of a mile from the Effingham cross-roads, on the road that leads up to Ranmore on the North Downs from the A.246 Guildford - Leatherhead road. His initial experiments for the bouncing bomb were carried out in his back garden, using his childrens marbles. (A bit of 'local' history for you.)

Yes, I met him twice at C.H. and once in Dorking when he actually recognised me out of Housey uniform ! He was what one in this day and age call, 'A Perfect Gentleman'.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Dam Busters

Post by sejintenej »

It was alleged in official quarters that it was he who arranged for "The Dam Busters" to be screened in Big School before it was released.

AFAIR there was a relative of the same name in Housie at the time I was there.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Archie Pelago
2nd Former

Post by Archie Pelago »

All this talk of important people makes me want to keep my eyes out for my fellow compadres, lest they turn famous without my knowing it. You older folk had some wonderful chances of 'hobnobbing', as it were.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Archie Pelago wrote:All this talk of important people makes me want to keep my eyes out for my fellow compadres, lest they turn famous without my knowing it. You older folk had some wonderful chances of 'hobnobbing', as it were.
That was only with a cup of tea.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

sejintenej wrote:AFAIR there was a relative of the same name in Housie at the time I was there.
I wrote the booklet for the Barnes Wallis celebration in 2003 and met his son (also, confusingly, Barnes Wallis!) and his daughter, whilst doing the research. We discussed their father's involvement with the school at great length, but never once was there any mention at all of a member of the family having attended the school in the 50s - or ever. So, I could be wrong, but I believe that it is very unlikely.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Barnes Wallis was my Gov , not as an RAF presentee ( so I didn't get to wear those lovely badges) but as a personal presentation ( my Mum worked with him at one point during the war, when she was in the RAF).

I remember at one Speech Day , during my junior years, when he came down as Treasurer ( I think) sidling up to him to say thank you for his kindness (he even used to send me pocket money) ... the poor man was so shy , he bolted like a frightened horse muttering something at me - did not want to be thanked, but used to send me notes on my reports.... my Mum thought the world of him, and I owe him my education.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."